doctors in the department
Oncology and Radiotherapy
Patients at the Department of Oncology receive an individual treatment plan by a multidisciplinary team of specialists. For the first time in the region, the most modern method of early detection and monitoring of malignant diseases is using PET/CT scan. The most advanced chemotherapy, hormonotherapy, immunotherapy, and target (biological) therapy are available for the patients.
Treatment is created depending on the histological type of the tumor (the cells from which it originates), the organ from which it originates, and the level of loco-regional spread of the disease or possible existence of distant metastases. The treatment can be adjuvant, the purpose of which is to reduce the risk of disease recurrence; neoadjuvant – with an aim to reduce the tumor size and to ensure its operability; or palliative with an aim to control the symptoms, thereby providing a better quality of life. The treatment can be carried out as individual or in combination with other treatment modalities (surgery, radiotherapy). Besides creation and implementation of the treatment, the expert team provides for continuous monitoring of patients after completion of the planned modalities of treatment, counseling and health education for family members to prevent the risks of developing a malignant disease, as well as its early detection.
Most commonly treated localized malignant diseases:
- Breast cancer
- Brain tumours
- Lungs cancer
- Colon and rectal cancer
- Gastric cancer
- Liver cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Tumors of the head and the neck
- Bone tumors
- Soft tissue tumors
Modalities of treatment applied by the professional team of “Acibadem Sistina”
- Chemotherapy– involves application of medication into a vein or orally in order to destroy cancer cells, whereby more cytostatic agents with different mechanism of action are commonly combined. The team of oncologists at “Acibadem Sistina” constantly follows the latest developments in oncology, as well as their effective implementation in accordance with the accepted standards.
- Hormonotherapy– involves the use of medication in tumors in which hormone dependency is present, such as prostate cancer and breast cancer. Most of the preparations are administered orally, but there is a possibility for muscular application of certain products in this group.
- Immunotherapy– involves the use of substances that the immune system naturally produces and which are used to identify and destroy cancer cells by activating the immune system.
- Target or biological therapy– one of the most important breakthroughs in oncology over the past decade are the highly effective biological agents with minimal side-effects that affect the appropriate receptors (targets) located on the tumor cell but are not present in normal cells. This type of advanced oncology therapy has been used in various types of cancer, especially in breast cancer, colon cancer and kidney cancer.
Radiation therapy at “Acibadem Sistina” is performed by the most modern radiation therapy accelerator TRILOGY. For the first time in the region, due to the technological capabilities available at “Acibadem Sistina”, PET/CT scans are used in the treatment planning enabling the precise marking of the tumor and the healthy organs; this is essential in increasing the treatment success rate and reducing adverse treatment effects.
Radiotherapy is enabled by a powerful accelerator TRILOGY. In a shorter time interval it provides precise treatment with high dosage of radiation directly on the tumor and offers maximum protection to the surrounding healthy tissues.
Techniques used in radiotherapy application:
- 3D Conformal Radiotherapy: (3D CRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) – enhanced three-dimensional technique
- SRT/SRS: Stereotactic Radiotherapy / Stereotactic Radiosurgery
Exact application of these techniques is provided by Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), enabling the most advanced planning and control of radiation treatment by using different imaging modalities (MRI, PET/CT, CBCT, PV).
Application of radiotherapy
Depending on the purpose of the radiation therapy it can be:
- Curative Radiotherapy
Considering the available information on the disease, it is applied in cases where the disease can be completely cured. It can be administered alone or in combination with other treatment modalities – surgery and chemotherapy.
- Palliative Radiotherapy
It is applied in conditions where the disease is impossible to be completely cured. The goal is to prevent or reduce the symptoms (symptomatic relief) and improve the patient’s quality of life when fighting this serious and complex disease. For example, bone pain due to bone changes can be reduced by radiotherapy. In addition, radiotherapy can prevent pathological fractures of changed bones. Bleeding caused by large tumors can be stopped by the use of radiotherapy. The total dosage of radiotherapy in these cases is smaller and the duration of treatment is significantly shorter.
Radiosurgery is part of the radiation therapy for treatment of tumors, most commonly brain tumors, which can not be surgically removed. For the first time in the region, this type of radiation therapy is available at “Acibadem Sistina” Hospital by the most powerful and the most safe radiotherapy system TRILOGY.
For more information about Center for Oncology and Radiation Therapy please visit: www.cancertreatment.mk
Сѐ уште го немате пронајдено тоа што го барате?
Имате прашање? Слободно контактирајте нѐ.